Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sweetest Soul

Three weeks after her due date and on a very cold (-22° with a wind chill of -90°), the sweetest soul entered the world. I was 5 waiting at my babysitter's house for the phone call. I had been convinced that I would be having a baby brother. The phone call came. The words "it's a girl" had me just leave the phone hanging there and walking off. The greatest babysitter in the world took me to buy something for my new baby sister. I picked out a yellow baby brush and comb. It was a long time before she could use either! The next day we went to the hospital so Angela and I could meet baby Paula Lynn. My dad asked if I wanted to switch her for a boy that had been born the day before. I said I'd keep the sister (really thinking I could have switched)!

I don't recall feeling like suddenly I was cheated at life now that I wasn't the baby of the family. I took on the middle child role with ease. There have only been two times in her 32 years that I thought she was evil. You guys that really know her will be surprised at these two revelations! The truth is about to be out! One time she lied about me. Seriously, it's probably the only time ever in her life that she lied. She said that I shut her head in the toy box! I was about to be in so much trouble! A spanking was on the horizon. Fortunately for me, my mom could sense I was telling the truth. The other time she was evil is also the only time my Grandma Darlene raised her voice at me. She told Paula to clean up some cereal she spilled. I started to help her and got in trouble! She needed to do it by herself. Causing my grandma to yell at me. Just evil.

I referred to her as the sweetest soul. I stole that description from one of her closest friends. It really is the perfect description. Paula is the most genuine person I know. Being the center of attention in big crowds may not be her favorite thing, but she has always been comfortable with whom she is. When I was feeling the need to impress, she was perfectly content just being the person she is. Beautiful. Just beautiful. We can all learn something from her. Beauty. Being genuine. Love. For her birthday, we will celebrate her well. Angela would agree. Paula is the best baby sister in the world!