Friday, January 31, 2014

Celebrating My Parents

Today my parents celebrate their 44th anniversary. They've lived in 3 states and 6 homes. They've raised 3 daughters and a teenage grandson. They've rescued daughters A and B in times of struggle...more than once. They provided a roof and warm bed for my littles (the husband and me, too, of course). They've suffered the worst sadness, the loss of a daughter. They've lost 3 of 4 parents and a brother. They've watched daughters graduate high school, a grandson and a granddaughter. They've lived through a grandson serving in Afghanistan. They've seen all three daughters marry. They helped my family while I worked and went back to college after having kids. They've watched and protected my children while Taylor and I worked.

As a child I knew I wasn't going to get everything I wanted, but I had everything I needed. I was never hungry or cold. I got animal crackers, a roll of tropical lifesavers, or a candy bar every Friday from the grocery store. We went school shopping every year in August for a few new clothes and a pair of shoes. My mom cooked a full dinner every night. No, really, every. What I learned later is that they have always been very wise with money. We had all the necessities and a few extras. I think my dad could give most people excellent advice when it comes to finances. Why his children and grandchildren have to work through this the difficult way rather than simply following his advice is absurd. Guilty here! But getting it.

They've had many friends throughout the years and I bet they would all tell you that my parents would do anything they could if they needed any kind of help. I know 3 daughters would all say so, and I bet 3 sons-in-law would, too. There's a grandson that can tell you how much they helped him, and there's a granddaughter that can tell you through many misunderstandings that she has some grandparents that will save her if necessary at the drop of a hat. There are two small grandsons that will tell you they miss seeing grandma and granddad every day. My prayer is that these two small ones will get to appreciate them into adulthood. Maybe my family isn't the most expressive when it comes to emotions, but we should all know how much one another is loved, all beginning from the wedding that took place 44 years ago.

This is my small piece to share a part of their story and to show appreciation to these two people I get to call my parents. They continue to tirelessly love me and the rest of our family.