Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Root Causes

I mentioned in my last post that I had not been feeling 100%  for a while now.  This is a huge factor in my initial interest in essential oils.  There are so many plants with properties in their oils that support a variety of human functioning.  Modern medicine is amazing and has proven to be beneficial in many areas. However, if there is something that occurs naturally, why wouldn't I try it?  I remember as a child wondering why the three wise men gave Jesus frankincense and myrrh in addition to gold.  That should have been enough to tell me that they are beneficial!  They were presented to baby Jesus with gold!

I began my own research into all my many ailments and symptoms.  What became apparent to me is that modern medication and trying to treat my various symptoms one by one was not working.  Sure, I could take Excedrin every single day and the headache would go away, but it was coming back the next day.  My gut and liver were going to take a beating with this continuing month after month after month.  Two years of eczema that suddenly appeared.  Weight gain.  I realize I'm getting older and metabolism can slow down, but this was too much with no explanation.  Old stretch marks from pregnancy starting to itch terribly.  Brain fog.  Concentration struggles.  Memory struggles. (If you know me, this clearly states there is a problem!)  Depressed mood. Constant fatigue hitting mid morning to early afternoon every single day.  Little motivation.  My research started to reveal that maybe some of these were connected and that maybe, just maybe, there were some root causes to explain much of it.  Perhaps, if the root causes could be identified, I'd be on the road to feeling well again.

Here I am now (finally) with some knowledge about my health!  I have inflammation in my gut.  I have a Vitamin D deficiency.  I am deficient in all B vitamins with a severe deficiency of Vitamin B9.  I have a defective (mutated) MTHFR gene.  In June 2014 my TSH came back high so I was prescribed levothyroxine.  For a year my TSH has been in the normal range, but I have felt anything, but normal. After further testing, it was discovered that my T4 is within normal range, but my T3 is not.  Levothyroxine isn't doing anything for that, so a new medication has been prescribed.  With that replacement and suggesting some supplements and detox baths, I hope when I return for a follow up in 10-12 weeks to be feel better and for my lab work to be better.  It's a journey.  I've had to research for myself, ask questions, ask for personal referrals to functional, holistic doctors that treat the whole person and look for root causes.  I will continue using my essential oils for the benefits they provide my family, and I will share about them with everyone.  One of the biggest blessings from the oily journey is the community of people that I have been connected with who are so encouraging and helpful.

Thankfully I can begin this season of returning to work and to my graduate classes after the summer break with answers and hope.

If you're interested in hearing more about how essential oils and other Young Living products have been incorporated into the lives of the Silly Twilleys, I will be happy to chat! www.goldendropsociety.com/brendatwilley